Tuesday 22 July 2014

Hello from Samoa - July 22, 2014

Hello, it has been a while since I have added anything to our blog.  Part is because of busyness on our part and part is because of spotty internet access.  When I get ready to blog the internet is not working  ans when the internet is working I don't have the time.  I would have had this one out earlier but I tried to delete a photo and it deleted the whole set of photos and explanations.  So I will send out a series of shorter blogs. It has been an interesting 6 months and the trouble is that it is going by so quickly.  I will start out with some shots from New Zealand and the Principal's Conference we attended there and move forward from there.


This is a picture of all the principals and ITEP couples at eh conference


This is a picture of all the principals and Itep couples from Samoa










This is a picture of our principal Jack Taleni along with the conference mascot and a lady principal from Tonga or Fiji




This is Jack teaching a math lesson to a student who was struggling.













This is a picture of the ITEP couples at the conference.  We are out eating as a group and getting to meet all the other ITEP couples.


This is all of our ITEP couples along with Elder and Sister Jacobsen (front row dark clothes).  We also have two professors from BYU-H, they are at the ends of the front row







This is the Pacific Area Office in Auckland, New Zealand and this is where our conference was held.


This is Elder Hamula the Pacific Area President.  He was released on June 30 and we held a farewell for him in Savai'i.  He and all teh other members of his presidency spoke to us at different times throughout the conference. 


This is Elder Pearson who was the first counselor to Elder Hamula but as of July 1, 2014 he will be the new President for the Pacific Area and one of his counselors will be Elder Gifford Nielsen.  I'm not sure who the other counselor is.







This is us, and we are either in meetings or we are eating.  This is not good  for any kind of a diet


Here we are just finished eating before we go to our next meeting









This is the Samoan Boat Races we watched the day after we got back from New Zealand.  The boat holds 51 paddlers, a helmsman and a drummer.  They start 5 kilometers out and the finish line is in the main harbor in Apia.  The boats are all lined up before they start as it is very hard to turn them


You notice there are some waves that make the race much more difficult I have a short video clip showing some problems when you have waves and paddle boats together.








I'm not sure what the problem is, hopefully you can see the action and what happens.









Here are my two friends that join me when I run past their place.  Teh problem is they follow me home and hang around our place till they decide to go home or their owner comes and picks them up.  He sees me in my house taking a picture and wants me to come outside and run some more.


This is a better picture of my friends.  Most of the dogs are very unfriendly and these dogs are very nice to have along when you meet other dogs.









 This is our Stake Center at Fusi.  We held Elder Hamula's farewell here.


This is a sign put up on the wall to show how the Samoans and the people of the South Pacific felt about him.  He was very much loved here.











These are some of the dancers that put on a show for him.


The south stake had about 200 dancers perform for him


The men invited Elder Hamula to join in a Samoan welcome dance










We have two small ferries and one big ferry that runs between Upolu and Savai'i every day.  This is the big ferry and it will hold about 30 or 35 cars and it can have over 200 walk on passengers as well.   It costs 12 tala (about $6) per passenger one way and for the car and one driver 95 tala (about $48) so it gets expensive if you have to make too many trips.

This is a side view of the big ferry

This is an inside view of the big ferry. That little red car is ours.  In the big ferry the cars ride inside and are usually packed in very tight.  Often they have to let us out before they park the next car because we can't open our doors after the next car is there.  The next three pictures are of the little ferry and you will notice that all the cars are up on deck, it makes quite a bit of difference.

This is one of the little ferries and they don't near as many cars. That little red car is still ours and we always pray for a smooth journey











This is a picture of the little ferry when it is docked just before we are ready to leave.
This ferry is mostly loaded.  They will pull the truck and van behind it strait on and then we will leave.











Sorry, this picture goes back to New Zealand.  They have a Mongolian restaurant called Genghis Kahn which is very good.  You select the food you want and the sauces you want and they cook it on the grill.  I like hot and spicy and they mixed mine and another lady's food up.  The one I got was not spicy at all and the lady down a bit said hers was way too hot.  It all worked out because I was able to go for seconds and finally got my hot and spicy.  It was very good.

As you can see it is hard to keep track of which pile of food is yours but like I said it was very tasty.


Every so often the chef lights up the grill by igniting the oil with a lighter and then spraying more oil on it.  It was quite a show and you could feel the heat when you were standing 6 or 8 feet away.







I am going to publish this post before I lose it like I did the last one.  I tried to delete a picture and I lost the whole thing so I am going to send what I have and will send part 2 tomorrow.  Have a great day!!!    Lots of love from Elder and Sister Stonehocker

3 comments:

  1. that fire looks so cool I can feel the heat from the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that rowing video was way cool!!! There are so many people rowing it all, how do they get anywhere

    ReplyDelete